View Single Post
Old 01-19-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob300DSD View Post
Does stretching back the spring back to its original length (27mm) work in a 617, turbodiesel engine? or is the replacement of the IP bypass valve required? I have read other posts and there seems to be a few different views on the matter. I personally think if in doubt, replacing the spring would be more than enough to complete the repair. I also wonder whether I should post this question to this thread or the other that whunter directed me
More important is what pressure is present in the base circuit of the injection pump. All springs in the relief valve were not the same length in production . Some around 20mm and some around 27mm. Fifteen to nineteen pounds pressure in the injection pump is in the sensible ballpark. Favor nineteen if possible. Many things like the lift pump being tired or partially obstructed filter etc can drop this pressure as well remember. Low pressure will not always be the relief valve. In most cases you do not even know it is low unless as severe as the posters was.

You want this for many reasons. The car will run seemingly not too bad usually with less pressure.

If it is a 240d with the 616 engine it may be even more critical to have somewhere near the right pressure in my opinion. Do read the extensive thread posted on this thread about the relief valve and pump pressures. For too many years this area was ignored.