View Single Post
Old 01-31-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry123400 View Post
Well I really did not want to be a so called winner about your situation.As I see it there are several possibilities and perhaps several arangements possible.

It seems to me now as hindsight is always so great. The piston rings are somewhat more relaxed when not under heavy load. In theory the blowback pressure should further increase otherwise when running rpms and higher occur.

Instead it is actually lowering. I guess this could be verified if desired with a simple gauge. There is a slight chance something is wrong with the shutoff device making it too sensitive as well.

It is almost a certain given that during the intial attempted start up the presure is pushing the shutoff assembley closed with the internal base pressure in the engine.

Or you are not getting a good normal no vaccum present at the cut off somehow or other when attempting to start. So the first cold engine test would be to disconnect the vacuum line prior to attempting to start the engine.

Some of these cars will retain residual vacuum for a day or so. Simple test really just in case as still in my mind the blowby pressure should be increasing as the engine really starts to run.

That would kill the engine for sure with your symptoms. Or perhaps when engine is actually started the splashed oil on the cylinder walls improves the seal is about the only alternative.

If it is the initial blowby proven by the simple test. You could rig a choke cable to hold the shut off on to get started. There is even a convienient handle to attach it to.

Any other solution to keep the old engine working would mean blowing more oil vapors out. This in my opinion means feeding a second breather hose into the system to deal with the initial blowby if that proves conclusivly to be the issue. In your case I would go for the choke cable. How much milage does this engine average on a quart of oil? It would not suprise me if it is not all that bad.
Not a winner on the situation but for suggesting further research be done. Especially since a few members have encountered the same effect. I have taken the vacuum line off the kill but with no difference.

This leads to the choke type set up you suggest I'm guessing if this scenario is happening you will see the linkage moving the same as if you were killing it manually ? If so all I'm trying to do is overcome the blowby from pushing out on the kill diaphragm ? I'm guessing it has a vent hole open to the injection pump and crankcase internal .

Barry enjoy the limelight the prize was seeing my daughters face when it did actually start and we were able to go to the train show as she had wanted to all week.

Thanks for the suggestions I'll try them and reply.

Kerry it went beyond interesting for me bordering on completely baffled

Experience : what you receive 3 seconds after you really needed it !!

86 300SDL 387,000? Motor committed suicide
81 300SD 214,000 "new" 132,000 motor
83 300SD 212,000 parts car
83 300SD 147,000

91 F700 5.9 cummins 5spd eaton 298,000
66 AMC rambler American 2dr auto 108,000
95 Chevy 3/4 ton auto 160,000
03 Toyota 4runner 180,000 wifes