View Single Post
Old 01-31-2010, 11:13 PM
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip Foss View Post
I have a gay brother and 2 gay cousins so I have seen of bit of what they go through. I might offer a suggestion to those that are fighting for gay 'marriage'. Give up on the word marriage. That word is like a hot poker in the eye of conservative/evangelical Christians. You need to fight for the rights to civil unions, equal rights under the same set of laws that allows the christians to demonstrate in the streets and print inflammatory rhetoric in the paper.

The word marriage is a red cape to a bull. The opposition can not and will not see past that word. You will spend 90% of your time, effort and money just trying to get over the image that that word creates in their mind. The idea of 2 gays on a honeymoon in the bridal suite is more than most christians can handle.
Because civil unions and domstic partnerships provide marriage-LIKE rights and privileges within a given state, only MARRIAGE is recognized by the fed, i.e. filing joint income tax return or having equal protection under the 14th ammendment of the U.S Constitution. MARRIGE is a right other American taxpayers enjoy, why, just because the heavily religous object, should we allow our taxpaying selves to the second best alterative of signing our rights away by accepting a civil union?

"Seperate but equal" has never been the right choice, and seperate and unequal is even worse.

As far as i know, christians don't hold the trademark on the word marriage. What i see are marriage licenses granted by the GOVERNMENT, not any church. As for what i can see from here, you apply for marriage license at the same place that collects taxes from taxpayers both gay and straight. Yet only one group of people are allowed the stability, and the protections that are afforded to married couples? HELL NO!!

If some freaky christians lie awake at night letting visions of two men in a bridal suite upset them they need to grow the EFF up. What ever visions they dream up have absolutely nothing to do with my reality in a state that continues to deny my rights that are protected and guarenteed under the fourteenth ammendment..

Former owner of a few diesel MB cars
1998 Lexus ES 300 In Chicago We Trust

Last edited by Diesel4me; 02-01-2010 at 02:00 AM.