View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 01:18 PM

"Storm of the Century"?

I may be somewhat older than most of you, but I know I am getting tired of every major storm being referred to as " THE storm of the Century".

Maybe we have to redefine what that means. In my business, a storm whose severity is such that it occurs only once is a hundred years is called a 100 year storm. ( Engineers are such word-smiths!)
I have lost count, but I know I've lived thru at least 5 or 6, and maybe as many as 10 of these 100 year storms. I am NOT much over 200 years old.

As an aside----After Agnes ( 100 year storm), the Army Corps ( the "p" is silent) required that all small dams be inspected and evaluated for safety. My company got several of these. One, in Baltimore County was one of the original reservoirs for Baltimore City,called Lake Roland. We found it to be lartgely OK, but needed some maintenance attention. One of our conclusions was that the dam was safe except, possibly, if it were hit by another 100 year storm before the maintenance could be completed. I delivered that report the day the David ( another 100 year event) hit the Baltimore area. The dam survived; the timing was awful.