View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010, 03:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton View Post
See, here I go and get you the data...........and you decline to accept it.........calling the intelligence and capability of the poster into question..........

I'll do some experiments with the SD and see if I can confirm your thesis on this matter.

I have completed my research and here are my findings:

1) If the Bowden cable is disconnected, the vehicle always starts in second gear.

2) If the vehicle is moving very slowly in traffic (about 3 mph) with the driver's foot off the pedal, and the pedal is pressed ever so slightly........just enough to move the linkage to the Bowden cable, but not enough to open the rack........a very slight bump is observed and the vehicle will accelerate ever so slightly.

3) If the vehicle is moving slowly in traffic (about 5-6 mph) with the driver's foot off the pedal, and the pedal is pressed ever so slightly.........just enough to move the linkage to the Bowden cable but not enough to open the rack........a very slight bump is observed and the vehicle will decelerate ever so slightly. It's actually somewhat disconcerting until you realize that the engine had to increase in speed due to the 2-1 downshift, and that speed increase slowed the vehicle.

Therefore is it concluded, with certainty, that the 617 turbo will rest in second gear until the pedal is pressed.......very slightly........when it immediately downshifts to first.

I was originally mistaken as must be the majority of those polled. TF is correct in his statements and analysis.

Last edited by Brian Carlton; 02-13-2010 at 10:15 PM.