View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 03:07 AM
Chairman of my Benz

Quote:
Originally Posted by konstan View Post
Here it is on the engine stand. It looks, however, that the bottom bolt that holds the stand to the block is actually threaded into the upper oil pan (see the arrow).

So, to get the pan, I need to free up the two bottom holes? Or do it while it hangs on the cherry picker?

Oh yea and there is no way this thing is going to rotate to have the bottom of it looking up. It is extremely top heavy.
In my opinion to remove and reinstall the upper pan correctly, you'll need to remove the flywheel and the intermediate plate. Then you can mount the engine stand directly to the four bolt holes on the block. In doing so, moves the pivot point near the center of the engine and reduce the top heaviness (but still kind of top heavy).

Unfortunately you have the same engine stand flange as I do... Wide.

If you used that stand, you will have to make that flange work with the narrow block. I ended up using a bunch of spacers/washers/nuts, long & short bolts, and placing the engine stand arms in unusual positions to get the engine block secured to the stand. Doesn't look pretty but certainly got it nice and stable.

Attached Thumbnails
Konstan's 1982 300D Engine Out Thread-engineonstand.jpg   Konstan's 1982 300D Engine Out Thread-om617_on_stand.jpg   Konstan's 1982 300D Engine Out Thread-enginestand.jpg  

Last edited by whunter; 03-04-2010 at 02:07 PM. Reason: attached pictures