View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 09:42 AM

I still have a 1972 250c that was very late shifting because of the seals sitting unused for so long originally. The car is seldom used once again but the seals have remained tight for about twenty years now with the additive.

It may have had something to do with the composition or mix of the materials in the seals back then. Plus I imagine some of the additive acts to loosen up other things like vanish etc if it occurs.

Of course it is not a cure all but in my case I doubt the transmission is any less reliable. If I had knocked it down or had a shop do the set of seals it may have been no more reliable. There would be very little actual wear in there. Car was too low in milage.

The problem was not worn out seals just partially dried out seals.Possibly todays materials are less problamatic in that way. The replacement transmission I put aside for this car just still sits there. The car I purchased to get that automatic out of was a story itself. The automatic had been rebuilt though.

It may be a good ideal not to let an older automatic transmission sit too many years with out getting the fluid circulating . This car was given to a son by his father.

The young fellow had what I would consider to be minor issues dealt with by a dealer. He gave me the bills after describing why he had never driven it for all the following years. The amounts on those bills would make almost anyone park the car in a garage and cover it up. The bill for doing the front brakes looked like an engine job until I read it carefully. Fifteen hundred for doing the front brakes and what fooled me initially was the parts listed included two pistons. The other bills where all the same type of thing. They saw him coming and really victomised him.

He had parked the car when the engine had a delayed response to the accelorator pedal. Seemed like 1/2 minute between pressing the gas pedal and the engine picking up any revs. Then the car would really respond. The transmission was late shifting after sitting all those years as well. I found the ignition points where closed up and I treated the transmission.

Car was very good then. Cost was probably twenty dollars for the needed part and additive. I can only imagine what his dealership bill might have been. Remember twenty five five years or so ago he could have purchased a new car for what they charged him for what were basically a few minor issues.