View Single Post
Old 03-26-2010, 07:02 AM

Kyle, while performing a 4-wheel alignment on our 1998 E320 back in 1999 the local MB dealer damaged all 4 wheels. The alignment jig mounted to each wheel left 3 indentations on the inner lip. (Apparently the alignment tech failed to use nylon protectors that prevent wheel damage ... who knows how many wheels he damaged unwittingly.) After considerable discussion with the Service Manager he agreed to replace all 4 wheels. The SM initially proposed repairing them, but I refused to accept that resolution.

My point is to insist on new wheels. A repaint will not hold up as well as the factory finish. In a few years when the refinished wheels start to have issues you'll be left with a decision ... refinish them again, or live with the cosmetic issues.

Another example. My son bought a pre-owned 2005 BMW 745i with significant curb rash on each wheel. As part of the purchase agreement the dealer agreed to refinish the wheels, but believe me the paint is not nearly as durable as factory paint. It seems "softer" and brake dust adheres to it more than any MB factory wheel finish.