View Single Post
Old 03-27-2010, 09:47 PM

Most used car sellers (usually with little or no mechanical ability) assume that if it drives down the road, everything is mechanically "functional". If it stops, the brakes are "good". And if the engine always starts, yep, it's got a good engine. See how this description could apply to almost every part of a car? And it's precisely why most used cars you look at are absolute crap. But as we know, all mechanical parts have a set wear range that they will still technically "function" under.

Also SL's are extremely expensive to fix/repair. Even if you are a DIY'er, the high cost and low availability of parts is not in your favor. Based on what you said about the car, I'd be running from that car, fast.

There are TONS of SL's out there. Even if you have to wait 2 months to find the perfect one, you will save thousands of dollars in the end. Usually waiting it out means you can find one for half of book value that is probably nicer overall. I always look for the diamond in the rough, so to say. A car with nearly perfect mechanics, usually lower miles. The seller is usually getting rid of it so cheap for minor minor flaws, like faded paint and a broken washer bottle. Stuff that can be easily fixed, but they de-value it a lot due to whatever reasons. Those are the deals you want. Not the usually de-valued used car that needs a new engine/transmission/interior....body work. Stay away from those. Good luck on the hunt. I've learned, be PATIENT.

Last edited by JohnM.; 03-27-2010 at 09:54 PM.