View Single Post
Old 03-29-2010, 08:29 PM
Zen And The Art Of Diesel

M110 carb W114 electric fuel pump conversion done

With success so far even.

This Pump

With this fuel filter

The pump is quiet, cannot hear it with the car running. It fit well on the passenger side frame rail forward of the gas tank and to the side of the rear diff mount(and away from the exhaust). It primes quickly from dry also.

The filter is mounted on the inner fender on the forward drivers side, again
away from the exhaust, and near the washer fluid reservoir. This was possible after removing the rack of solid state relays and vacuum valves that I quit using 6 months ago when they started randomly cutting in and out as the car warmed up(which plays hell with the one controlling the vacuum retard).

I retained the updated stock non-vacuum controlled fuel return valve/pressure regulator and it seems to cope fine with the pump, as does the needle and seat. I was able to set the float height lower, it was previously at the +2mm setting spec'd for hard starting.

I finished it up this weekend and only brought it home from the shop this evening, we'll see how it goes. It did start up quickly and with only maybe ten seconds of throttle attention from cold after letting the pump run with the key on for five or ten seconds. This part at least proves my theory that the fuel is either evaporating or something(and I couldn't find it leaking anywhere internally). I suspect I'll see improved hot starts as well. And fuel that is filtered by something other than the laughable inlet screen filter, or the crappy inline parts store pieces.

Next is getting rid of the CDI and points.