View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 01:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthgrader View Post
Thought I'd tell you all how it came out.

I got $7350 for the car from my insurance company. The appraiser was really impressed with my car, at least from the passenger's side!

My insurance paid because the other driver had a lying witness who came flying out of a nearby restaurant to say my light was red, while my two witnesses, who were actually standing at the corner waiting to cross at the time, said just the opposite. (There may have been a racial component there, sadly.) Conflicting witnesses means the police would not assign fault, but I know my light was green.

How I did I get this result? Comps did nothing. I fought with Farmers for six weeks, flooded them with local sales figures; they would not budge. They pulled out every nasty trick they could think of, including calling a local Mercedes dealer who does not sell older cars to establish value. (Wholesale value, doubtless.) It was very unpleasant. I filed a complaint with the Dept. of Insurance, sent letters to supervisors, did everything I could. Nothing worked.

I finally used my appraisal clause. This cost me $400 extra, but given that I was originally going to get $3,700, it was worth it, big time. I can't find any super clean 300Ds around here for anything like $4K. Lots that need plenty of work, but nothing really nice.

I hope I'm never in this position again, but if I am, I'm going to straight to appraisal. It would have saved me tons of grief.

I can't wait to find my new old 300D. It is so hard not be impatient! I am even dreaming about it. I am neglecting my work so that I can search for cars. (Of course, when I had my car I was neglecting my work lurking around here!)

I thank all the people who helped me get through this and gave me encouragement and tips. People here have spent time on the phone with me, freely giving time to help a stranger. People have been patient with my moaning about losing the car in every other post.

I don't know what I'd do without you guys. You made a horrible situation much, much better.
$7,350 is a large sum of money for a 25 year old 300D. If I read what you posted correctly. Sounds like you made out fine on the deal.