View Single Post
Old 04-03-2010, 01:27 PM
10mm MW

I just finished repairing the Fuel Pump Relay.

The car always stated when cold, so I first started the engine and disconnected one of the fuel pumps. The engine still ran on one, but the running pump was definitely straining by the sound it was making. I then tried to start the engine with only one pump, and no go. So mine will run on one pump, but will not start on one pump.

Since the engine would die while running, and when it was a no start condition I did not hear any sound from the pumps, I went to the relay.

I removed the cover and, upon visual inspection, I did not see anything cooked or what not. I then put it under my microscope and low and behold there were two solder connections from pins TD and 50 that were broken. There is not any support on the top of the circuit board, so it must be vibrating and the only thing holding the board in place is the solder connections. This corallites to it dieing after I went over railroad tracks, it really got bad after that.

I resoldered all the Pins and the pins on the actual relay itself. Reinspected under the microscope and all looks good, however I have had better looking solder joints than the ones I found that did not have contact on other boards I and made.

I put the cover back on, resealed it, cleaned the pins, and am off for a test drive. Before it only died after it was hot, so I guess time will tell if I really fixed it.