View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 01:22 PM
Join the organization!

High Output Alternator for a 1966 M180 230S W111

Greetings fellow Vintage Benz owners. Now that the sun has peaked its head through the snow clouds here in Michigan it is time to get the cars out! The wife and I have experienced a few problems on the two voyages we made thus far. On a side note we used the Mercedes road side sign and drive assistance for the first time and were thoroughly impressed.

The issue we have been experiencing has been narrowed down to a potentially bad battery and/or alternator. The odd thing is that the alternator light will come and go being on and off, however the car dies when you remove the cables from the battery regardless of what the light is doing.

We have installed an in car computer (GPS, DVD, etc.) so the electrical draw is higher than what was spec'd out in 66 so I have been looking at replacing both with higher output items anyway. As always I would like to stick with Bosch or other brands that Mercedes Benz uses in production. I have done a brief Google search and have not called Phil yet. So what are your recommendations?

Thank you as always fellow Vintage Benz owners,
Bryan Plaunt

P.S. Those of you you contribute to the solution I end up using will get a free VintageBenz.org email address.

Current vehicles the wife and I are restoring:
1966 W111 230S - near completetion
1976 280C - the wife's toy
1981 300SD - is already a beauty