View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 03:49 PM
Unbanned...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_ View Post
Yes I have verified that the ALDA is getting full boost signal. The odd thing is that the stop lever will not raise completely to a height that matches my 91 300D ... even if it is pulled up manually.
That is suspicious. It's almost like the rack is not moving all the way to the full load position. You could check this by removing the side cover plate on the pump and moving the rack by hand, but you'll want to order a new gasket before you remove the plate. I'd do this after eliminating some other problems though.

Quote:
I did check the ALDA does hold a vaccum ( applied vaccum and held it holds indefinitely - no tear in diaphram )
You need to check it with pressure, not vacuum. All this does is verify the shaft seal is not leaking. If the shaft seal does leak, you'll lose some part-throttle power, but it won't affect full throttle power. If an aneroid capsule is cracked, it will still hold pressure or vacuum, however it should actually increase fueling, not decrease it. If you remove the ALDA, make sure you can press down on the center shaft with your finger, it should move up & down. Could be that it's stuck in the down (lean) position... rare failure, but I've heard if it before. This would not explain the weird stop lever movement though.

Quote:
also I should clarify that the stop lever raises on acceleration ( momentary ) but when engine speed is reached for any given throttle position then it drops back down to just above the shut off position
Yep - that is most definitely not normal, and when the lever is down like that, it's restricting the fuel rack and reducing fuel delivery. You have gone for a test drive with the lever wired into the fully-raised position, correct?