Thread: glow plug relay
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 11:22 PM

glow plug relay

Hi, great forum, lots of good info.

I just purchased a '75 240d, and it was slow starting it in the cold so I pulled the glow plugs to test. This car was upgraded with the bosch fast glow plug kit. Glow plugs tested fine. I put everything back together, now the glow plug indicator light doesn't come on, and car won't start.
Unfortunately, when I hooked everything back up, I attatched the ground(to chassis) wire to glow plug #1, and apparently this was a bad idea, as it isn't needed with the new style relay/plugs.

Did I potentially short the relay?

I removed the glow plugs and tested them again, jumped to the battery, and they glowed hot. Also, I am getting a .5/.6 ohm reading on all of them. The jump wires all tested ok as well.
I have 12V into the relay, but can't get a reading out of it. I tested it shortly after turning the key. It read .8V, then the relay clicked and it dropped to .3V. Now it reads zero when I test it.
I also don't see any fuses in the system anywhere with the new kit, I guess the old ones had a strip fuse in them.
Is it possible to service these new relays? I hate to crack it open for nothing.
Thanks for any advice. Dave