View Single Post
Old 05-10-2010, 09:29 AM

Instead of two hundred euros think junkyard part if it comes to it. A good cleaning may get you by. The wires for the contact are small and delicate so go easy. Blocked intake ports on the outer sender cylinder are not your problem.

Too much buildup on the wires, internal cylinder components and contacts inside are more likely. To attempt a cleaning just immersing the unit in a cylinderical cylinder filled with laquer thinner should dissolve all the gunk. Just lifting it up and down should flush the junk out after it disolves.

If it is too dirty just use some fresh petrol as a final drain wash. I doubt if anyone has done this yet to my knowledge but it will disolve the builup without taking the unit apart.

If the rheostat portion of the internal wiring is damaged then it will not. For all practical purposes you need another gauge assembley at that point anyways. It does sound like yours may still be in good condition.

With sendors the contact itself can wear badly on occassion as well over time. This has not been mentioned on 123 senders to my knowledge. On gas cars the buildup internally you have does not occur I believe.

Great ideal to clean the tank out at the same time. If you try the laquer thinner soak/wash let us know the results. I really think it would work in your case.

Last edited by barry123400; 05-10-2010 at 09:47 AM.