View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 11:33 AM
Registered Hack

this problem keeps appearing on a regular basis around here.

I have struggled with it too, this is what I am currently finding.

-If your temperature is not spiking drastically or dangerously, you have removed enough air for the system to circulate.

-it is very important, for those of us with older vehicles, to verify the accuracy of the gauge before jumping to to such wild conclusions... it could just be a grounding issue. ( see charmalu 's thread)

-Here is where I start talking ridiculously - my new Behr thermostat continually ran just a hair under 100*c even on cold rainy days. I have a new Nissens radiator, aftermarket water pump , refilled visco clutch, 140 radiator cap (newish) and an 'adjusted' bi-metallic strip.

I decided to wait it out, this week has been hotter and the driving more demanding... the gauge is now showing 90*c max except on long steep hills. But I am still not reaching the previous highs.

This trend of lower operating temps has been continual, albeit slow, for the last couple of months... I only drive 150 miles a week.

What I am suggesting is that the new thermostats have a break-in period. Slowly, they will settle to the desired range. If you are not overheating, perhaps you should just chill out.