View Single Post
Old 08-01-2002, 02:03 AM

Thank you all for the info.

Warden,

I love my Diesel Scout! I have had it almost 3 years now. My other Scout with a 392 V8 was parked within days after buying the diesel. It surely does not have same power, but it gets almost 3 times the mileage--important with daily driver! Also, off roading with a diesel is awesome. No more flooding of carbs and wet distributors. This was my first diesel and it was the reason I picked the Mercedes for a family car.

I am keeping the Scout SD33T motor but making power improvements to it--air filter and 3" exhaust and eliminating the restrictive elbow from the turbo.

My inquiry to engine and trans is for the Pinzgauer my friend is planning to buy--not the Scout. Sorry for the confusion. I didn't see much info on the Mog forum about it--just that it can be done.

Is there any way to keep the auto trans in first gear without it shifting into second? The gear selector only goes to "L" and this is second gear. If trans is used in 4X4, I want to keep it from upshifting while decending a steep hill. The 4.25:1 first gear is great, but if I can't keep it there it won't be much good.

Ridge,

Do you know what ratios the 5 speed manuals are that you are using? I thought my performance in the car with the auto was pretty good. I have not considered going to a manual until you brought it up. I was mainly trying to find trans info for the Pinz conversion (manual and auto).

I took my first road trip with the 300TD to CA last weekend. The car performed better than anticipated! I love driving this thing! I was doing 80 to 90 mph most of the trip.

1982 300TD turbo wagon
1980 SD33T Scout II