View Single Post
Old 06-30-2010, 07:54 PM

Location: Out in the Boonies of Hot, Dry, Dusty, Windy Nevada
Bob, buy a 3/8 8mm socket, it has the hex bit as part of the socket. then a short extention and maybe afoot long breaker bar. I use my 3/8 drive craftsman long handle ratchet to break them loose.

with the allen wrench you show, maybe put a piece of pipe over it for leverage.

You really don`t have to remove the wheels, calipers and rotors etc... to remove the axles.

Once you have the car jacked up and safely on jack stands and front wheels blocked. remove the bolt in the hub and remove it. 13mm socket with a short extention.

with the parking brake on, and your lovely assistant helping you, loosen the bolts on the axle with your 8mm. might be able to do 2 at a time because of the boot and its bellows.
have your assistant release the park brake, turn the axle to line up the next 2 or 3 bolts, apply brake, loosen bolts etc... once they are loose, release the brake and remove the 6 bolts.
push axle towards the tire, drop it down on the differential end, and pull it out.

If it sticks in the hub splines, use a brass drift and hammer to tap it out. reach under the car to hold the axle from droping down, and then lift it out.

I gave a little write up in your other thread.

summer project-240d 1981

Hope this helps.

Charlie

1) Not much power
2) Even less power
3) Not nearly enough power!! 240D w/auto

Anyone that thinks a 240D is slow drives too fast.

80 240D Naturally Exasperated, 4-Spd 388k DD 150mph spedo 3:58 Diff

We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works