View Single Post
Old 07-01-2010, 11:27 AM
LarryBible

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorainfurniture View Post
So, I am trying to wrap my head around the fundamentals of the a/c system. I don't have any car related question, but I think if I, and others understand the basic operation, it would help in diagnosing any future problems.

This is what I understand so far:

1. Start at the compressor: refrigerant is compressed to the point that it becomes a liquid, it gets pumped through the condenser to cool the liquid refrigerant.

Q: Why exactly does it get hot? Is it mainly because of the compression?

2: The now cooler (still liquid) refrigerant passes through the receiver/dryer where it is basically filtered of any dirt/moisture.

3: Goes via "high side" line to expansion valve,

Q: From what I understand, the expansion valve is kinda like a garden hose sprayer. When the refrigerant is "sprayed" it boils and evaporates,

Q2: Is the refrigerant already at boiling point before it actually gets there? Does it not boil because of the pressure and lack of having anywhere to boil out?

4: The now "boiled" out refrigerant is now a vapor. At this point, it absorbs heat from the cabin, and transfers it back to the compressor via the low side line.

Q: What specifically does the accumulator do in this process?

I might be way off, but I was hoping one of the a/c gurus might be able to chime in and correct me.
1. The compressor does not compress it to a liquid, it makes pressure and pumps it to the condensor where it gives up heat which CONDENSES it into a liquid. It got hot because it removed heat from the evaporator.

2. The filter drier does filter and dry but it also acts as a buffer for liquid refrigerant in case there's too much refrigerant between the compressor and expansion device.

3. The fact that the refrigerant makes it's way into a LOW PRESSURE area allows it to evaporate or boil into a gas. The boiling point is lower at lower pressure, thus the lower pressure in the evaporator allows it to boil or evaporate.

4. You got it right in the evaporating substance drawing heat from the cabin. Your mixing system types with the filter/drier and accumulator. Pressure cycling systems have an accumulator and not a filter/drier. It is in a different position in the system serving a different purpose.