View Single Post
Old 09-04-2010, 01:56 PM

Opinions on 16 Gauge Shotguns?

Basically I'm looking for input on what would be a knockabout bird hunting field gun - not an investment grade "gun safe queen" - for a top price of around $1000 - preferably a S x S or O/U double barrel, choked Modifed and Full if it has old-style fixed chokes, in 16 gauge.

I do have a couple 16 gauge guns back with the family in NC - a Belgian-made Browning A-5 Sweet Sixteen choked Modified, and a Winchester Model 24 S x S 16 gauge 28" barrels choked Modified and Full. But these guns are unique enough (and in the case of the Browning worth enough) that I don't want to risk shipping them to Texas and keeping them in an apartment complex.

I realize that the 16 gauge has become something of the odd man out in the last couple of decades, but to me there's nothing that matches the feel and balance of a true-to-scale-and-proportion 16 gauge - NOT a set of 16 gauge barrels on a 12 gauge frame. With that Winchester double barrel, even though when it was made back in the 40's and 50's it was considered a low-grade "working man's gun", I can be a holy terror on doves like no other shotgun I've tried - I even prefer it over the Browning - it has that inherent build quality and durability you'd expect from American gunsmithing of that era.

Last year when I moved down to Texas, I picked up a Stoeger Uplander S x S in 20 gauge. For the price ($340), I expected it to be nothing more than a working field gun, to run shells thru. But I have to admit, for the price, I was surprised at the quality of the wood and metal work, and at the feel and balance of it - I wouldn't be ashamed to be seen carrying this gun onto the skeet range even.

When I checked their webpage, I was surprised to see Stoger made a 16 gauge version of this gun. But unfortunately for me, it's only available in fixed Improved Cylinder and Modified chokes. I've never had an O/U, but now I'm considering one of their Condor O/U's - available in 16 gauge, with fixed Modified and Full chokes. I've handled a couple used ones at Bass Pro Shop before, and they had a decent feel and balance to them. For $400 new, might be worth considering.

Any opinions or input? For me, it's now off to the Saxet Gun Show for the afternoon, then tomorrow off to a coworker's for some dove shooting.

Mitchell Oates
Mooresville, NC
'87 300D 212K miles
'87 300D 151K miles - R.I.P. 12/08
'05 Jeep Liberty CRD 67K miles
Grumpy Old Diesel Owners Club