View Single Post
Old 09-04-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel911 View Post
Off subject but when I removed my Alternator to change the Bearings it had a Rebuilt by Bosch North America sticker on it.
As best that I can tell, Bosch offers (or did offer) two grades of rebuilt alternators. The "premium" version (aka "Professional Preferred") is alleged to have better bearings, etc. A number of the no-name overhauls just regrease the original bearings. (Sometimes I think they just repaint the case and call it "overhauled.")
Quote:
I was surprised to find that the Bad Bearings I removed from it were Made in China.
I was equally surprised to find factory-installed Chinese wheel bearings on my '82 300D. My alternator, though, had FAG bearings, made in Germany. I replaced them recently with the same.

Quote:
Since I got the new Bearings really cheap on Ebay I just replaced them with another set of Made in China Bearings.
Last time I checked, there were plenty of SKF and FAG bearings on Ebay, also. Sounds like you missed a great opportunity for an upgrade.

There is absolutely no reason to go to the dealer for alternator bearings. Or any other bearing that I can think of.

Last edited by tangofox007; 09-04-2010 at 02:46 PM.