View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 01:52 PM
david s poole

722.9 transmissions

i had a car in my shop during august [05 e500] that was constantly going to limp mode[3rd gear] the car was taken to dealer to have codes read with sds.they told me that valve body and electric kit was bad and would need replacing[cost $2400].i informed owner and when he had $$ i decided one last try to drop trans pan and valve body and clean speed sensors.[nothing to lose] imagine my surprise when i removed drain plug and no fluid came out.it took 0.5 litre of fluid to lift level to correct amount for non running engine.it took a further 1.2 litres to correct level with engine running.subsequent operation of vehicle for two weeks has proven to be normal.the electric connections were checked for leaks as was the trans computer---NO LEAKS.the pan was dry.----WHERE DID THE FLUID GO? research with other people around the world[and usa]has come up with opinion that fluid is dissappearing from these transmissions.until the mystery is solved i would suggest that all owners with these 722.9 trannies check fluid level a minimum of every 10,000 miles.the specs are in owners manual but briefly with car level and running and the fluid[or pan]at 180degf removing the plug should give small amount of fluid running out.

"Fortune favors the prepared mind"
1987 Mercedes Benz 420SEL
1988 Mercedes Benz 300TE (With new evaporator)
2000 Mercedes Benz C280
http://www.w108.org/gallery/albums/A...1159.thumb.jpg