View Single Post
Old 08-15-2002, 04:15 PM

buying advice 300td

Looked at a 1981 300td today. 244k Maintained almost from new by Stu Ritter. Every record back to day one.
Did not do a compression check (yet??) It had a fair amount of blowby compared to my 77--300d with 55k It also had a funny creaking sound in the rear suspension when it went up and down as if something needed to be oiled. I noticed a complaint about a noise in the back years ago in the records but no problem was ever found. Accumulators in the self-levelling system were replaced a couple of years ago.
In the course of its life the transmission was rebuilt (131k), a new turbo about 180k, rebuilt front end not too long ago. Seats rebult in recent past. Many replacement AC compressors. and a zillion windshields. Lots of new brakes and rotors over the years. The original owner was meticulous in maintaining it including replacing ALL the rubber body seals at one point. A couple of small places where the paint is bubbling. Color--brown (yuck)
Asking price 2k.
I'm a little concerned about the amount of blow-by. The engine starts right up at current temperatures. The current (2nd)owner has only had it for about a year and half but she said she never added oil between oil changes. (this may be a good sign or just plain neglect??). Stu Ritter's clerk says the life of the engine past 250k is an unknown.
What does everyone think? Buy or look for one with lower mileage? Rely on a compressions test as indication of engine condition? Current owner says she is selling because the lives in an apt downtown and is unable to plug it in in the wintertime.