View Single Post
Old 10-13-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulc66t View Post
Several weeks back my 300sd had been running very poorly. This is after about 75-80K on a 2 tank WVO set up. It was idling rough and lacked power on the highway. It felt like a clogged filter so I changed both filters. It continued to run poorly. It was difficult to maitain 80mph. One day while leaving work I decided to try and clean it out. I filled the wiper resevoir with water, removed the hose connection from under the hood. I poped the top off the air cleaner and stuffed the hose down the intake. Most of the ride home I kept hitting the wiper/washer switch. You can feel the motor bog slightly(have to be careful not to hydrolock it with too much water). This was all done at highway speeds. When i got home the resevoir was empty. I replaced the hose etc.
I was very surprised to find that it now runs as good as ever. I really didnot expect such good results. If I didnot do this myself I would not believe it. I must caution though that I am at the point where I am considering replacing this car because of rust and age issues and really felt like I had nothing to lose. I don't think I would have attempted this on a better vehicle.
Wow...Paul that's great.

I could imagine a slightly less quick and dirty setup for steam cleaning that incorporated a modified air filter housing top with an actual water injection nozzle mounted in it. It could be hooked up to the washer reservoir like yours and run for 50 miles as a maintenance procedure every so often.
'83 300TD Cali Wagon 210k, wife's car