View Single Post
Old 10-14-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junqueyardjim View Post
I think the additional ring could be machined and "schrunk fit" to the 240D flywheel. I would ask Spamman to post the weight diferences and to provide close measurement of the additional part of that rim in both length and width. To shrink fit an additional 2 inch by 3/4 inch machined steel ring to the outside diameter could be quite less costly then buying a new flywheel.
I agree, but would that interfere potentially with the ring gear/starter gear housing? maybe if you did that, you would have to chop a little bit off that protective cup that covers the starter engagement gear? Or add a taper to the schrunk fit part you were making, definitely sounds doable

From the pic above, it looks like the two flywheels are not different in diameter. What about adding a second part to the flywheel, after the clutch and pressure plate are installed. Ive been toying with adding an inertial ring to the face of the flywheel that bolts on after you install the clutch, meaning you could extend it further inwards partially covering the pressure plate in the unimportant areas.

The pic above makes me more convinced that it might be possible.