View Single Post
Old 08-21-2002, 06:51 PM
TANK

SDL is a great car

Biggest model in 86-87. Tons of room inside and trunk. Largest engine in 80's. Aluminum head? No big deal, tons of new cars have them today. Iron heads are subject to cracking as well, just check the posts. It's quiet, refined, and I think the 0-60 is more into the 12's leaving only maybe a second differnce between it's smaller partner. But remember, it's an old car.

You will prob have lots of repairs to get it back to spec. Vacuum pump, fan clutch, motor mounts, engine shocks. Not to mention front suspension parts could total upwards of $2k alone, possibly radiator, alternator, water pump, etc.

I paid 5k for mine with 129k. It didn't need a water pump or alternator but needed lots of other stuff. The front ends are highly suceptible to vibrations if the smallest suspension part is out of spec. Right now, my steering wheel vibrates. I have new shocks, tires, steering shock, tie-rods, drive-shaft loop(it rots out, after 15 years and causes vibrations in steering and seats), rebuilt power steering gearbox, and yes it is still vibrating, less but still. Why? I need new lower ctrl arm bushings. I put new slotted rotors on it (ATE). After 2 months of driving, they are warped. My car shakes when I brake. Phil is sending out new one's. Vore's still out on ATE we shall see. It's a great car when you get it there though. I am $9k later. Sunroof still doesn't work, a/c is borderline. If you want to see my itemization take a look at tech post "naked truth." It has all maint recs to 80k miles and vin chk came up original mileage. I don't know if sd's have similar probs or not after years of use?