View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Vintage Moderator

I will add my $0.02 to the numbered items I know

1) The logo sounds like Bosch but I don't think they made calipers for these. Most were ATE to my knowledge. Bendix is a rebuilt one. You may want to pick up 2 fronts to be safe.
3) If there's air in the lines, it's normal for it not to pump up, especially if the air is in the rear circuit where the springs pull the pads back in after each pump.
4) Bushings are cheap enough, but make sure you fix the parking brake cable. It's often a bent parking pawl that prevents Park from actually holding the car. These cars were designed to use the parking brake on any type of incline.
6) Timing is measured typically on plug #1 at idle. Use an induction light. Then you'd want to measure the centrifugal advance, which would give you a different timing number (Always BTDC on this one) at a specific RPM.
7) If it's 100% bypassed it's usually a leaky core. Especially if 1 valve moves. It's easy enough to stick them open or closed depending on the season.
8) High revs are normal. Trust us, it can still go over 80 and stay there willingly even if it sounds like it won't or shouldn't!
9) Sounds like a hydraulic leak, usually in the steering gear box. Air mixes in at the leak spot & makes the fluid cloudy and take up more volume so some will spill out the top.
10) Check the flex disc before you drive any further. Connects the driveshaft to the trans.

Sharp car!

Previous:
1972 280SE 4.5
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited "Hefe", 1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo "Jeepy", 2006 Charger R/T "Hemi"
1999 Chrysler 300M - RIP @ 221k