View Single Post
Old 11-03-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldiesel View Post
Very strange that Valvoline believes there are friction modifiers in their ATF and our "experts" here are sure Valvoline is wrong. http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/maxlife/automatic-transmission-fluid/37

you would really think a company like Valvoline would get their FACTS straight and stop spreading old wives tales like friction modifiers in their ATF. Don

There isn't much point Valvoline trying to get their FACTS right when people are too stupid to read what they write.

Valvoline Maxlife dex/merc ATF is a SYNTHETIC base fluid (I DID mention this previously) and not a mineral base fluid.

It is a Dexron/Mercon 6 fluid, Dexron I, II, and III are all mineral based. Dexron and Mercon are two entirely separate standards.... thank Ford for that. Nowadays there are about 30 different ATF fluid standards, Toyota, Honda, Nissian, etc etc etc

In any event, Valvoline are notorious for "extras" in an attempt to market their stuff as a premium product, they used to do an ATF with anti leak additives, bloody dreadful idea. Fix your ****ing seals if they are leaking.

Dexron 4 and later are lower viscocity than Dexron 3 and earlier, and EXACTLY LIKE SYNTHETIC MULTIGRADE MOTOR OILS, such as 0W30 which is in fact 100% 0 weight oil which behaves like 30 weight at higher temperatures due to its polymer chain construction, eg FRICTION MODIFIER, Dexron 4 and later have the same features to cope with the increased thermal load in modern auto transmissions.

Dexron 3 in a 2010 Mercedes Benz auto trans will eventually kill the trans, because the Dex3 cannot handle the thermal loads and because it is more viscous than the specified fluid.

Nobody on here is running a 2010 MB, it is all W123 and W124, eg Dexron III era products.

You shouldn't put Dex 6 in a 1970, 1980 or 1990 MB trans, as it will damage it just like Dex3 in a 2010 one, it is too thin. It is not what it was designed for.

So you link to a Dex6 product, in order to attempt to prove me a liar about Dex3, which is all anyone on these forums is ever going to be using.

I have ALWAYS been careful to be specific, and say Dexron III, I never JUST say "ATF" or "Dexron" or my usual type "Dextron", I ALWAYS say Dexron III

I think perhaps your problem is that you (and maybe many others) do not understand that when people talk about the oil in "oil + detergent + anti-foam" you think the "oil" in question is some 100% purse distilled single malt whisky, and not blended bourbon.

As far as I know the only 100% pure motor oil that I have ever bought was Castrol R, a vegetable based motor lube oil for racing applications (smells heavenly)

All oils, eg single weight shell rotella, are not pure, but blends.

The problem starts when the marketing guys get hold of the product, and start making all sorts of claims, one says "hey this lowers friction" and the others say "well hell, so do ours" and there you go, which is why you get to a place where Toyota now market (NOT make, MARKET) their own ATF, Honda market their own ATF, MB market their own ATFs.

Dex3 wasn't a marketing tool, it was a specification, from before the days when motor oils became a bloody fashion accessory and design statement about the driver.