View Single Post
Old 08-25-2002, 10:24 PM
Registered Diesel Burner

Glad to have you here on the forum.

In my opinion, you will never get a good price at a dealership. They keep their asking prices high and wait for people who don't know any better to show up.

Since you are here by way of the Internet, I suggest you search through the cars on EBay for the potentially best deal. In this way you can cut out the dealership middleman and get the best price.

I have a few rules for buying a car on EBay that may help you:

1) Never consider anything other than a local car within easy driving distance.

2) Go look at the car before you bid if you can.

3) If you can't look at the car before bidding - and you win - go look at the car to "verify it matches the description" before paying for it.

4) Stay away from sellers that are really a dealership.

5) Stay away from sellers that are new on EBay or have zero feedback.

6) Look for a car listing where the seller has made some kind of mistake in the advertisement. Maybe they put it in the wrong category. Maybe a typo in the description that makes it hard to search for.

The EBay route takes a lot of patience and the willingness to spend a lot of time considering candidates. I think you can find something within about three to four months of searching.

Have you heard about CarFax? www.carfax.com
Well worth the two-month unlimited subscription if you are searching for a car and ready to buy.

You won't believe the cars being sold out there that have bad records in Carfax, like salvage title, flood title, wrecked and repair, etc.

Should be lots of followup posts here providing more opinions and advice.

Ken300D