View Single Post
Old 08-29-2002, 12:21 AM

psFred: You must be Yen, as I learned TDC isn't TDC on a particular 6 cylinder gas job farm truck. It was 10 degrees away. But remember the holes or orifices on the pre-chamber hold up changes in pressure like they hold up temperature when glowing. The burn is slow in a diesel compared to a gas job, so the swirl is needed more to keep the unburned fuel near the flame than to keep the flame away from the cylinder after it all gets sucked out of the pre-chamber because of the difference in pressure.

You cam turners need to put the cam shaft back into the block. LarryBible probably remembers his dad calling an engine block "the frame". Put straight gears on the crank and cam shafts, and a pinion gear in between. One end of a shaft on the pinion gear, the other out the frame. A lever with a yoke on one end and a sailor on the other pulls the pinion shaft and a spring puts it back. One end of the cam shaft also through the frame. The non-regulation way was to pull the pinion before the engine stopped, as a cam shaft and push rods were kind of heavy on those big engines. The hard part was setting the propellor shaft brake on the few WWII DEs that didn't have a clutch. A ship coasting through the water will turn the propellor the wrong way with respect to reversing the engine, so the brake had to be hard enough to stop the propellor but light enough to slip when the engine started. They had a small boiler for things like the laundry, galley, and ship's whistle, so the stuff like engine lube oil, fuel oil, and coolant pumps were either run from either baby steam turbines or engine operated piston pumps. I don't know about the gun hydraulics or winches. The ships I served on (DDG and DE/FF) were steamers. Auxilary pumps for the plant were powered by baby turbines but the gun hydraulics and winches were run by 3ph 440V electric motors with sailor power for standby.

A virtual cold one for the person who can tell us how the marine diesel in the attached pic works. You'd need big springs and a wide hood to fit it into your benz. I'll wait a couple days before confirming the answers.
Attached Thumbnails
Poll : How much you know about diesels???-img00004b.jpg