Thread: 2006 CL55AMG
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertchampion View Post
i agree with you about the smart car. a disaster of design. and safety. i know benz pretends that they are as safe as a sonderklasse sedan, but i have seen one after a high speed t-boning. no survivors. and not much left of the car. benz is adroit, however, as they are able to squelch the airing of the photos of this. reminds me of ford and its pinto.

i have never understood why benz failed to make the sonderklasse diesels available in the usa. in france, some 8 years ago, my chauffeur used an S320CDI, as i recall.

and in montenegro some months ago, my chauffeur used an S430CDI.

both were wonderful cars.

no slouches for the tasks.

and of course, all the lebensraum that one wants from sedans of this stature.
I do believe there was a lot of attention spent on its safety and structure but the biggest problem is its small proportions in relation to other cars on the road. When you are being hit by a larger car, which is going to be the case almost all the time, you will be at a disadvantage. It would be great to see more diesel models brought over here. I bet a diesel C-class would be a popular seller to go against the 3 series diesel. I read somewhere that the 3 series diesel is doing very well and has even outsold its gas counterparts.