View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
Totally agree!!! All my CD manuals, not limited to MB, have been printed to hard copy & bound. You get fed up with goo-ing up the key board with greasy fingers.
Had to put the key board in a plastic bag to keep it clean. I have had more mouses than Roys had mobile phones.

There was a secret insider tip regarding Haynes manuals in the days before CD's.

Without fail, every time you went to look at a used car to buy privately, you said "You know, I'd buy this but I need a shop manual for it, if you had the Haynes I'd buy it off you at new price."

If they had one, they would whip it out in 30 seconds flat.

You then thumbed through it and looked for pages with oily thumbprints, those were the jobs that had ACTUALLY been done to the car, as opposed to what the seller claimed had been done, and claimed what problems the car did / not have.

The number of times I did that, then found oily pages on say the camshaft, then inspected the car and found a problem that the seller had botched, hoping to shift the car on.

The flipside was I bought a lot of cars very cheap, with zero service history, but good home mechanics that had done every job well, again highlighted by oily pages in the manual.

The good ones always wrote handwritten notes on the appropriate page in the manual of what they had done.