View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 06:49 PM
Loose Cannon - No Balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBeige View Post
Now that you've mentioned it, hmmm...

Pretty sure the light was from the fogs. It's not a well defined cutoff.
VERY true. The US 201/124/126 fogs are not well controlled, just kind of a wide yellow light without any real purpose. The plastic lense makes it worse, especially when they craze in the sun after a couple of years. Even worse, in rain/fog/snow/etc., the fogs gather droplets and the wipers don't reach them, ... even MORE scatter. I have been very disappointed in these US lights. The Euros are completely different (and '94/'95 US 124 lights), white light so that you can recognize objects, sharp cutoff, decent optics, glass lenses, wipers that clear the entire light.

I put Euro lights in everything that I buy, swapped from US to Euro/Bosch in the '91 when it was a couple of years old and swore I'd never have another 124 with US lights (but kept them in the '94 and '95 for the above reasons).

At one point I was looking for the 124 DOT fog-light globes in clear, hoping that I could at least make the fogs perform better, realized that the Euro swap made more sense. Without the yellow globes? Easy to un-clip them in the early 124 DOT fog lights and see whether you like them. Un-clip the "headlamp door", pull the globe off, replace the headlamp door.

Gone to the dark side

- Jeff