View Single Post
Old 01-22-2011, 08:53 PM
He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscurtis View Post
Hydrogen is a net loss by the time you get to the end use, which is presumably a fuel cell. It is not an energy source, it is a storage medium just like a battery. As battery technology improves, H2 will become less attractive as an option.
"As battery techology improves" yeah right. We will still have the problem of not enough, not soon enough. Hydrogen is a better fit for the country in terms of energy storage in automobiles.
Quote:
There is no energy benefit to producing H2 from electrolysis or natural gas when you consider that energy from coal will be required for the former, and the latter is a good engine fuel just as it is.
So those will be the only two sources forever? You say that battery technology will improve, are you saying that Hydrogen technology can't?
Quote:
It is nothing more than a "feel good" idea promoted by people who didn't pay attention in science class when they were in school.
Is that an ad hominem attack? It sure seemed like one.

To be quite frank I am a mechanical engineer, and I did pay attention in science class. So unless you can come up with a better energy storage medium than "fantastic batteries that will exist soon" then Hydrogen fuel cells offer the best solution. As it stands now not a single Hybrid or electric vehicle is viable on a national level.
Quote:
Don't hold your breath while waiting for ex-governor Arnie's "hydrogen highway" to take shape.
California can sink into the Pacific for all I care.

I recondition w123/w126/w124/w140/r107/r129/ steering boxes!

1984 300D "Elsa" odo reset 6/2011 147k
1983 300TD "Mitzi" ~268k OM603 powered
1995 E300 "Adelheid" 262k [Sold]