View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
Rule #1 You never take a mercedes benz transmission problem to a transmission shop, that doesn't totally specialized in mercedes benz transmissions. If you do you are going to loose every time. An honest transmission shop will turn the work away, because of the different intricacies of the transmission. A mercedes shop has all the equipment to hot test them, and there good before going back. The post that said bypass that transmission shop was giving the strait truth on the issue. Don't ask me how I know!
I don't know of any transmission shop in the Philadelphia/S. Jersey area that specializes in MB transmission, and all the shops I questioned said that they were familiar with them. Do shops that specialize in MB transmissions really exist, and if so, where?

I allowed this shop to rebuild it, because the guy who runs the shop assured me that he had rebuilt a large number of MB transmissions over the 20+ yrs he's been in business, and the guy who actually did the bench work convinced me that he was very familiar the 722.
In addition, the owner had test driven my car, and agreed that it was slipping in reverse, and the price he gave me for rebuilding it was so much better than anybody else's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2cho View Post
What Rebe said....

Whirring is not normal.

Thank you. I didn't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2cho View Post
Also, why didn't you mention whirring in the initial post? All you said was reverse slippage. Our diagnosis was correct based on what you gave us.
I said the transmission was slipping, because I believed that was the best way to characterize its failure to access reverse, and the whirring sounded like the whirring someone else explicitly mentioned and called slipping in this thread:

1992 500E - difficult to get reverse when hot

Moreover, since a number of other people had reported problems with reverse, but not other gears, in their with 722's, I concluded that I was having a similar problem.

So, now that you guys know that it's whirring when I put it in reverse when it's hot, but not when its cold or when I put it in D, N, or P, does anybody have any idea what it could be -- considering that the transmission was just rebuilt, and all the clutches were changed?

Your help would be greatly appreciated, as my car is still in the shop, and I'd like to have some idea as to what could be going on.

Last edited by mbboy; 01-26-2011 at 08:07 AM.