Thread: City Busses
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 11:34 PM
dieselarchitect

They aren't too bad here but they do seem to drive pretty fast a lot of times.

I used to drive a big transit bus when I was in college. It had a aluminum unibody and a 671 Jimmy in the back. A two speed tranny completed the ensemble. When empty of passengers they were pretty speedy and nimble, with a full load of kids they were ponderous. The steering was manual but the wheel felt like it was 3' in diameter.

One day heading out of the barn to go pick up kids in the predawn winter light I was heading west on Memorial drive, an urban 4 lane.....as I came up to a stop light I wanted to switch from the left lane to the right. I looked in the right side mirror and saw nothing and began to steer over that way. Then I saw a pickup beside the front of the bus which had been in my blind spot a second before. I swung back left but there was a thump.

As we pulled up at the stop light I opened the door of the bus and the fellow looked at his pickup and my bus and there was no damage. We had bumped mirrors slightly.

Phew!

Lucky break!
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.