Thread: City Busses
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 09:15 AM

Commuter Bus sideswiped the House Trailer I was in...

When I was building a 25 story Condo on E 34th St next to the mid block exit from the Mid Town Tunnel in NYC, the job site trailer was on the sidewalk beside the left lane of the exit street.

One morning - me, the Jobsite super and the Safety guy were having a meeting when all of a sudden the trailer tilted 45 degrees backwards and everything not bolted down to the floor went flying and then the whole trailer slammed back down level (or quasi level). A Commuter Bus had sideswiped the trailer while making a lane change and did not even stop to check his damage, much less the trailer damage.

The chem toilet system was broken , the jacks were bent, both bogey wheel sets on the street side were bent, the office was a shambles-the only thing that didn't move was the huge Xerox scanner/printer/copier that the Xerox guyhad bolted thru the floor with 5/8" carrage bolts. If that had cut loose it would have gone right thru the wall of the trailer!

Someone got a plate number and name off the bus and we called the bus company, their insurance guy came by and filled out a claim.form ..we found that we were charged with "contributing" to the accident by being within 5 feet of the street. Bus driver claimed the trailer was "in the lane"!

Lucky no one was hurt.