View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 11:00 AM

Sorry to hear about the potential of another car. The vacuum pump bearings in my opinion could not make it through the oil pump so no need to look further in the system for them. They are either in the pan or gone. Bearing babbit driven back in the crank oil feed passages is what might concern me.

Since they are usually straight drilled passages they can be rodded out. If the main bearings are good and no evidence the cam bearings are damaged I might just rod out the crank passages and drop a new set of rod bearings in.

You have to take a calculated gamble in life once in a while. I really feel upon reflection any babbit could not have travelled as you had no oil presure before the babbit got hot and extruded itself.

So odds are fairly good you may get away with that approach. The oil pressure was lost instantly. Those cam bearings will have to be inspected as well but since there was no evidence the crank got really hot you might luck out.

I usually never leave much to chance as it is too risky. In your situation if there is any remaining risk it is so small that if your situation was mine I probably would proceed. There will be no babbit even in the oil filter in your case I believe. You just have to make sure there is no babbit left behind that can travel or obstruct oil passages when the oil presure is re established Essentially again that means rodding out the crank passages and just cleaning up the open lower area well.

The intact screen on the oil pump will catch anything of a serious nature if you miss it. You are stuck with the crank rodding job though as any babbit driven back into the crankshaft oil passages could obstruct rod or main bearing oil feeds.

Last edited by barry123400; 02-01-2011 at 11:14 AM.