View Single Post
Old 02-08-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstech View Post
this is the main reason I NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER (adinfinitum) ever recommend oil change places.
it's actually COMMON that they screw up and forget either the oil, the bolt, the filter, the (insert stupid mistake here) whatever. I've gotten several cars that were warranty claim damaged cars from places like these.
go back, demand a new motor for your car.
then call a lawyer and sue them for 5K damages (it's all you're going to get)
your motor is toast.
Unfortunately, I have to agree. Even at the most generous, I wouldn't trust that engine for any other that short local trips - for my money, it's amazing it even still runs.

Heck, I've even had an MB dealer screw up an oil change, and end up with the oil level a a good one inch above the full mark - 9 or 10 quarts in the 603 in the wrecked 87. Fortunately, I checked it before I even left their parking lot, showed the service manager, and he immediately pulled the car back in and corrected the situation - young gent that changed the oil had used the "vacuum via dipstick tube" method to remove the old oil, and had missed at least one or two quarts. When I changed it myself by pulling the oil pan plug, the recommended 8 quarts put the level right at the full mark.

Quick thought - does your car have an oil pressure gauge, and if so what did it read prior to stalling out?

Mitchell Oates
Mooresville, NC
'87 300D 212K miles
'87 300D 151K miles - R.I.P. 12/08
'05 Jeep Liberty CRD 67K miles
Grumpy Old Diesel Owners Club