View Single Post
Old 02-14-2011, 11:56 AM

Babymog I will keep posting how this all works out. Unfortunatly the owner is a less than desirable character to buy anything from. It snowed again so I cannot get to even examine the car today.

I am determined to re examine the car before paying.I have not seen it in a year. This would not be a requirement with many people I know. This guy does qualify though.

It is one of those situations where he needs money really bad as well. He brought another house before selling his old one and he is not getting offers for the old one. I think he is currently unemployed as well. .

Why people either place themselves between a rock and a hard place is beyond me. Although he could have just lost his employment during the transactions unexpectatly. Some people have the worse of coincidence. His wife also died a couple of years ago under fifty years old with cancer. This guy is not a good candidate to buy lotto tickets.

There is too large a chance of some curve existing in this deal because of his character as well. So I have to be extra careful. On the otherhand it is just three hundred dolllars and if things were better for him this may not have been coming to pass.

Also if it is as he says there is only an electrical short and the car is pretty much as it was the last time I examined it. I will give him more money than he asked after I establish what is real. Three hundred dollars is far less than that car is worth with only a short.

In my position I have to act in a fair way and not take real advantage of his general misfortune. We will see how this unfolds. It would leave a bad taste in my mouth to do otherwise. A good deal is okay but this may be better than a good deal.

I purchased a 1950 ford from him many years ago with a claimed low milage factory rebuilt V8 engine in it. Strange it too was two or three hundred dollars as well and was purchased by me as a parts car.

The engine was installed by a ford dealer and the woman had only driven the car another few months before it went out of service and sat for years was the story. The engine was partially taken apart after the sale to check it and it indeed was fairly fresh.

The only ford flathead V8 I ever owned that had reasonable oil pressure at hot idle. I parted that car out for a good profit and kept the engine and transmission and radiator. They still reside in my garage. I just spin the crank over by hand once a year. Some guys purchased the doors and quarter panels etc. and converted their four door into a two door so some of that car lives on. It needed a whole new frame so it was not worth restoring at the time.

Last edited by barry123400; 02-14-2011 at 12:08 PM.