View Single Post
Old 09-15-2002, 03:18 AM

Just a thought

I've also used these tire cleaners/detailers on an engine bay in the past but I've heard it's not great to use them.

The reason is that any product with a high silicone content will require that you reapply on a regular basis. If you don't you will find that the silicone draws moisture out of the rubber and plastics and will cause premature cracking. This isn't a major concern because you can always use other types of protectants that don't contain the silicones to bring back any lost moisture.

I've found that the best way to maintain a clean engine is to wipe it down with a rag at least once a week. Be sure to remove any dust and accumulated dirt. I use an old T-Shirt and a spray bottle with water when I clean the engine. My engine does have a small oil trickle so it's imperative to wipe that area before it has a chance to accumulate dirt.

I haven't tried the Meguiars Engine cleaner yet, I'd love to know if others have tried it and what their opinnions are. I wonder if that contains silicones?

Current:
02 C32 AMG

Previous:
92 500E
84 190E 2.3 5 Spd