View Single Post
Old 02-24-2011, 10:22 PM

Possible damage to an 87 190D?

This happened a while ago, I am currently out of the country for a few months. Right before I left, I heard a slapping sound from the engine bay, and saw that my belt was starting to shred. Like a dumbass, I tried to drive it home, as I was only a couple of miles away. I know, don't worry, I paid for it. The temp gauge spiked almost straight up after less than a minute and I pulled over. The engine wasn't smoking or steaming or anything like that. The belt was shredded to pieces and all tangled up in the fan. Also, my transmission hose was cut, fluid all over. Got it towed to a trustworthy local mechanic and he replaced the hose, belt, tranny fluid and tension arm (the original cause of the problem) for $400. I was worried that I had done damage to the transmission, but the mechanic said that I should be ok, and he was right so far, no weird noises and runs the same as before. I drove locally for a little while and then left town for the winter.
My question (finally) is whether or not I could have done any hidden/permanent damage to the aluminum head. I have been reading that they are not as strong as the older cast iron ones. Yes, I am kind of a new guy, even though I have been lurking on here for years. So far no leaks or anything like that, but should I be looking out for anything when I get back?

Thanks, Ben R.