View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011, 09:06 PM
Dieseldiehard

the biggest baddest diesels come from Finland (did I say that?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisnolt View Post
Hello, I just bought an '87 300TD wagon; I want to open up the intake and exhaust. If I get rid of the stock air intake and the sensor/flap thing under the air box and put on a cold air intake, will I get any check engine lights or problems of any sort? Also, does anyone make a bolt-on cold air system for this car or do I just fab something? I just adjusted the ALDA, and was pleased with the bottom-end results. I'd also like to remove the EGR and put on a 3" exhaust with like a Magnaflow muffler or something, and eventually turn up the IP. How much can I do before I'm gonna puke the trans? Any input on all this would be helpful. Thanks!
Well, removing the air intake won't buy you any additional power, the first thing you have to worry about is the Trap Oxidizer, if it has one. Search for Nasty Trap Oxidizer. If the factory recall was done to bypass the NTO with a straight pipe it will have a diesel cat under the car and that little item represents a power loss of a few percent, to which I can attest
Otherwise you are now going to have to spend big money with a modified IP and injectors along with a bigger turbo (55 trim to start or a HOLSET if you can find one) but if you do go that route, please be sure to install a Exhaust Gas Temp gauge (EGT)
Don't bother messing with a larger exhaust or any odd mufflers, it won't buy you anything (yet).
Look at what the guys in Finland have done with this engine (say the words diesel HOT ROD!) and you will find lots of ideas:
W124 300DT - 11.92 1/4 mile
and
The Baddest Mb Diesel I've Ever Seen!!!!
DDH

Last edited by dieseldiehard; 03-30-2011 at 09:16 PM. Reason: added word HOLSET