View Single Post
Old 04-10-2011, 01:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS Fowler View Post
No wrong answers to this one.

I just finished reading Peter Egan's "On the Road", a compilation of some of his road trip columns off the Interstate highways.
At every chapter ( almost), I found myself wanting to duplicate the trip I was reading. Imagine driving halfway across the country in a Lotus 7, or a Bug eye Sprite, or a Citroen 2CV, or a CJ5 , or a Model A Ford, or a Ferrari Dino...

So what is on your short list for a road trip? Both the car and the route.

I live on the east coast, so a Fall drive down skyline drive is a natural. But the car? I think I'd like an open car for this kind of a trip, and probably a fellow male car-nut to share the driving. I have a willing friend with a TR6 ( whose wife would undoubtedly not object to him being out of the house for a while), and that may happen, but a 2CV would also have certain charm. My 300SD is too "modern" for this kind of a road trip. I expect an SL would also be rather mundane. Then again, I've always loved the Ford Model A--the "T" being just a little too primitive.

Another thought--what makes the trip "special"? Is it encountering and then overcoming the obstacles? So do you need a car that "might" break down at any minute? Is it the people you meet? Or the destination? Egan surely contributes to the mix. I wonder if he is available.

So what car and what route appeals to you?
I've been travelling the country in my own diesel-powered coach for 25 years now.

If you are interested in purchasing a totally self-contained, top-shelf, (diesel-powered) coach
like mine== wont be Active much the next few days
I know where there is a nice one-owner for sale at a fair price. Not all that far from you.

Personally, I wouldn't spend a night in a hotel/motel (YUK!) again versus the cost, convenience and travel price of your own coach on the road.

I read John Steinbeck's 'Travels With Charley' In Search of America,' many years ago. It is a chronical of travel by John Steinbeck and his Poodle, Charley. They set off across America from the New England coast in a 3/4 ton pickup with an archaic camper shell on it's bed.

In my young life of 38 years OTR, I have spent literally years on-the-road, and not near enough of them in my own coach somewhere in America.

Some will never know the freedom of spirit and expense it brings not living in your car and a motel room on the road.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 04-10-2011 at 01:48 AM.