View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011, 09:09 AM
DD MOD, HVAC,MCP,Mac,GMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by leathermang View Post
The MB AC FSM suggests as you put the system together... spacing out the total oil you are going to use in several places.... so that the entire burden of getting it spread around is not borne by the refrigerant..
This is ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT ON SYSTEMS USING THE R4 Delco since it is totally dependent on refrigerant carried lubricant.... lacking an oil sump itself..unlike most other AC compressor models ... even earlier models like the York..
yup. this will certainly aid the distribution of the oil into the system, but!!! it will not flow in nitrogen, so it will not coat all the seals and surfaces of the lines etc without the refrigerant charge.
my point here is on the OP's statement of his system not holding vacuum until the oil got into the system,,, it's not important for a pressure test. it is CERTAINLY important to have the exact volume of oil, distributed during installation of the components in the quantities specified in the FSM.

My drivers:
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5-5SPEED!!!

1987 300TD
1987 300TD
1994GMC 2500 6.5Turbo truck... I had to put the ladder somewhere!