Thread: "Boy-Racer"....
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2011, 04:59 PM
Razorback Soccer Dad

Hey, before compact imports were prevalent among the teens, (1970's)

there used to be "Motorheads".

Those were "gas crisis" days when muscle cars (gas guzzlers as they were) were filling up used car lots, and high school kids were snapping them up for a song! (still kicking myself for passing up that cherry black 'Cuda sitting in the driveway in my neighborhood with a FOR SALE sign..only 3K!).

Like most teens and young adults with jobs flipping burgers, we could barely keep the tank full much less splurge on REAL performance items...so we did the same goofy "ricer" stuff...any of you Boomers remember these?

1) "Cherry Bomb" mufflers (oxymoron IMHO).

2) Rear end lift and subsequent "Rustoleum" silver paint application on the now visible rear diff.

3) Cragar mags with Mickey Thompson tires (the word "offset" didn't exist in the 70's, so clearance for the wide meats required application of #2). Most of the time only the rears were done since most couldn't afford to get them for the front!

4) Ridiculously large primered NHRA-style hood scoop...even though engine was still stock! Worse yet, seen on what used to be grandpa's Buick!

Oh yeah...forgot! Even folks w/o Ford Torinos were sporting the "Starsky & Hutch" signature red paint job with the white stripe! I even saw a 4-door Buick LeSabre rocking that paint scheme back then!
2016 Mustang (32K) - Daughter's car