View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachykeen View Post
Great info -- thanks everyone...

Now, as I am not a mechanic and still learning about what is what...the relay that controls this fan -- you're saying IT could be in need of replacement? Isn't this relay located next on in front of the fuse box on the wheel well?? or not?

huge thanks.
I am not so sure it is the Relay itself.
When the A/C Temp Switch is hot enough it grounds itself and completes the circuit. When that happens by way of an Electro Magnet inside of the Relay it closes the Relay and the Fan goes on.

If you remove the Fuse that goes to the A/C Temp Switch (see your Fuse Chart) and the Relay turns off the Fan there is a good chance the Temp Switch is no good.

What I find odd is that I have a Temp Switch on my Thermostat Housing, yet the Diagram does not show such a Switch being hooked to the Aux Fan Circuit?
Also when I looked up sensors for a 79 300D it had;Cooling Fan Sensor; Auxiliary Fan Switch; 212 Degree F
So if you see a sensor on your Thermostat Housing, disconnect the Wire and if the Fan turns off you found the problem.

Do the same with the A/C Temp Sensor or pull the Fuse and if that fan goes off that is the prolem.

If the Fan is still going find out where the Relay is and pull that out.

If that Fan is still going after that you have a short circuit going to ground in one of the Wires.

Last edited by Diesel911; 04-22-2011 at 09:29 PM.