Thread: 240D for me!
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtodiesel View Post
Maybe get your car up and running, then reconsider the biodiesel or wvo, once you see how nice it runs on diesel! Much less hassel
Just my 2 cents
Good point - I'm learning a lot as I go.

I need to start a "bring back to life" thread.

I pulled the tank this evening. That sucker is NASTY - there is all this tar like junk on the bottom. I dug out huge globs of it with a piece of rebar I had. I'll be taking the tank to a pro for cleaning. I used my pressure washer on it - but it didn't do any good. So - off to be boiled. I hope that doesn't cost too much.

Since I had the tank out I shot some primer & paint on the metal under the tank - its solid & only had a little surface rust - but I figured what the heck - when is the next time I'll pull the tank.

I put on the new fuel filters and a small amount of fuel line. It seems there is a loop where the fuel line is sandwitched against a heater hose in order to heat the fuel line. I bypassed that for now - but plan to reattach once I get things worked out.

My 9yr old son & I went through the rest of the car. Here's what we found.

* Battery is shot - charged for 24 hrs & it was only half good.
* Some rust on floors - but not bad. Not structural like the fenders
* practically everything on the car works. All lights, flashers windows, wipers Heck even the clock works! The moon roof & power antena do not work. There is no stereo - so maybe if I install one I can get the antenna to work - thats down the road though.

* 1 fog light is burnt out
* There is no horn. Literally - not there. unplugged & removed. Unless it was some other plug I was looking at.
* AC compressor has no belt - which means it has no freon - which means its gonna be hot this summer.

I shot some brake cleaner through the remaining fuel lines. I forgot the get the ford solinoid today - I'll go back tomorrow to get one.

I need to change the oil & tranny fluid before going too far.

I have a deep cycle battery I can use short term.
Once I change the oil I can rig up a diesel can in the trunk to get it started & see if the car comes to life.

***** QUESTION ***** How do I purge the nasty fuel out of the injector pump? Do I just crank it through? Is there a drain or something? I have some injector cleaner & seafoam I plan to run through right away - but it may be too late.

Any thoughts?