View Single Post
Old 05-01-2011, 08:12 AM

450SLC 5.0 Motor Mounts

Hi Guys,

I need to replace the motor mounts on my 450 SLC 5.0. I'm having trouble removing the bolt from the center of the original mounts. From the top, there is a nut with a bolt coming through it up from the bottom. From the bottom, I can see through a hole in the subframe a 10mm hex bolt.

Problem is, i can't turn either the nut or the bolt. I started on the nut from the top, and determined its probably welded to the hardware which is part of the engine's mounting arm. Its very difficult to get a grip on due to the exhaust manifold. I did get a good amount of torque on it and it didn't budge.

From below, I'm able to reach the 10mm hex bolt from the deep hole in the subframe (similar to a W123, just deeper), but I cracked a (nice german) 10mm socket trying to get it free. The location is very difficult, since it is just above the lower control arm. A long hex key of just the right lengh is required to reach deep enough into the subframe, but still short enough that you can get a ratchet or breaker bar on it without conflicting with the lower control arm.

I see in the US sevice CD for the 107, a normal 450SLC (with M117.985) uses a bolt from the top which screws directly into the mount. The mounts I received for the 5.0 don't have threads to receive a bolt, so its clearly something different.

So, before I go and break more tools, whats the right way to remove these mounts!? Anyone BTDT who can give some advice?

Thanks
Jaime
107.026 #919